fredag den 28. september 2012

First two weeks - basic stuff

I am about to finish my second week of elicitation with my consultant whom I got into contact with on my first day out in the community of Triunfo de la Cruz to the west of Tela. I got referred to him by the president of the patronato of Triunfo to whom I was directed by a friend of my wife's. The funny thing is that the first moment I hear the guys name even before seeing him I knew that he was one of the tree people who worked with me in 2007 when I was doing a paper at the MA level and living here for 7 months.

So far we have been working on the basics of noun morphology, number, possession, gender and locative markers among other things, adjectives and their gender marking and more recently verbal morphology. There is differential number marking as in many American languages and I'm trying to find out if there is also dif. obj. marking - so far the picture is obscured by some parallel constructions; so, there are basically two ways of saying 'I will smell the coconut' - one that involves a feminine gender object indexer on the verb stem which is the same as for 'I will smell the woman' and one that involves a 'prepositional pronoun' with no marking on the verb - it's too early to tell. I'm thinking that from next week some time I will start working with one more informant in addition to this guy - somebody with whom I also worked 5 years ago; I have reasons to believe that his speech is more conservative - partly because he is not part of a circle of "intellectuals" / school teachers which sort of includes my current informant and partly because he uses the original uvular /r/ that Garifuna used to have, while most Garifuna speakers in Honduras have switched to the Spanish /r/ - also, he is a bit older. In any case it will be nice to get data corroborated or to get competing possiblities. Something that continues to elude me is use of special 1sg possessive words - so basically 1sg.pos is supposed to be n- prefixed either directly to a noun or to a 'possessive classifier / pronoun' but sometimes I get yudi or yegü and these do not have counterparts in the rest of the paradigm -´this means that I'm not even sure if they are morphologically complex.

So, all is good and work is progressing - I want to start recording and transcribing natural speech soon, probably short stories or other monologues when I have almost been through the mayor parts of speech.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar